Are "Organic" Beauty Products Worth the Hype?
Organic! Vegan! Gluten-free! You might feel virtuous buying products bearing these buzzwords, but what do they actually mean? We asked experts to define six of the trickiest terms in the book.
The FDA doesn't define the term "organic," but the USDA does—and certifies products containing agricultural ingredients (like shea butter or pomegranate) that have met the agency's standards for organic production. To carry the USDA Organic seal, a product must be certified "100 percent organic" (containing only organically produced ingredients) or "organic" (consisting of at least 95 percent organically produced ingredients; the remaining 5 percent must be approved nonagricultural or nonorganically produced agricultural substances), says Sam Jones-Ellard, public affairs specialist at the USDA.
TRY: Nourish Organic Skin Boost Cream-to-Oil Essential Oil Treatment,