1. Memorize one good joke.
2. Learn how to land a triple lutz...or maybe just how to skate backward.
3. Teach yourself not to take the bait the next time a loved one starts pestering you.
4. Master Italian (or American Sign Language, German, Spanish, French, Pig Latin...)
5. Have a kid show you one foolproof magic trick.
6. Perfect your margarita-making technique.
7. Enroll in a bookbinding course.
8. Read everything by a single author whom you've been meaning to get to for years. Faulkner? Melville? Auden? Colette?
9. Knit yourself or someone you love a sweater—or perhaps just a scarf.
10. Start writing a short story.
11. Sign up for piano lessons.
12. Find a kind of meditation that feels right.
13. Join a boxing class.
14. Learn how to make your grandmother's piecrust.