16. Don't interrupt when someone is explaining herself.
17. Let a fellow driver merge into your lane.
18. Offer to baby-sit for a single mom.
19. Put your shopping cart back in its place.
20. Call or write to a teacher who changed your life.
21. Bring a box of doughnuts to share at the office.
22. Forgive someone a debt–and never bring it up again.
23. Listen with all your senses.
24. Write a note to the boss of someone who helps you, and explain how great a job that person is doing.
25. Simply say "I'm sorry" when you're wrong.
26. Throw away your trash—and someone else's—after a movie, picnic or visit to a park.
27. Encourage someone who seems despondent.
28. Volunteer to take care of a friend's dog while he is vacationing.
29. Help a friend pack for a move.
30. Ask someone "How are you really doing?"—and then really listen to her response.
31. Offer change when the person in front of you at the register comes up short.
32. Before a friend moves away, give her your favorite recipe or quote and a photo of the two of you together.
33. Leave a generous tip for a pleasant waiter.
34. At work, offer to transfer a caller who needs help from another department.
35. Pass along a great book you've just finished reading.
More Ways To Spread Smiles
What really makes people happy
10 happiness quotes we love
We asked: What boosts your mood?
From the December 2000 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine.
We Hear You!