1. Take any food you're planning to grill out of the refrigerator an hour beforehand. It should be at room temperature when it hits the flames.
2. Set out your seasonings, utensils, and platters near the grill. Line up all your ingredients.
3. Before you grill, finish preparing everything else—salads, side dishes, beverages—and set the table. Grilling is fast.
4. Check that the food is cooked before you bring it to the table.
5. Do not put cooked meat or fish back on the platter you used when it was raw, and never serve cooked meat with uncooked marinade.
6. Let meat or poultry rest for a few minutes after grilling to allow the juices to redistribute.
From the June 2007 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine
We Hear You!