The quickest way to get yourself back on the right path is to stop spending. Use these suggestions to help cut back so you can move forward!
Step 5: Create a monthly spending plan
Get all of Oprah's Debt Diet advice
- Don't carry credit cards in your purse (only debit/ATM)
- Write checks, pay cash
- Turn down credit line increases
- Create specific funds for special occasions, like holiday presents, vacations, anniversaries, etc.
- Tell friends what you're trying to do to rally support
- Don't run up bills you can't pay in full at the end of the month
- Pay credit card bills on time to avoid late fees
- Make no more than one ATM visit a week
- Don't be seduced by credit card offers such as airline miles
- Barter for goods and services using your talents, gifts and skills.
- Do swap parties where you and friends exchange goods like clothes, shoes, handbags, household items, etc.
- Don't be enticed to open new credit cards at retail stores just to get the discounts.
- Opt-out of overdraft coverage on checking accounts.
- Use pre-paid, reloadable debit cards.
- Use the envelope system and spend only cash allocated in advance.
- Choose an accountability partner help you stay the course.
Published on June 17, 2009