This recipe is part of our superfoods menu.
- 2 large potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), such as Yukon Gold, scrubbed
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 small leek (white part only), split, rinsed, and thinly sliced
- 2 tins (7.5 ounces each) boneless, skinless Alaskan pink salmon packed in water (low-sodium variety), drained and picked over
- 1/4 cup canola oil mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sesame seeds or amaranth seeds (or mixture of both)
- Oil , for frying
- Leeks vinaigrette , for serving | Get the recipe!
Peel potatoes and run them through a potato ricer or masher, which will yield about 2 cups when loosely packed.
Gently combine potatoes, leeks, and salmon in a bowl. Add mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and work in just enough to attain a well-blended mixture. Divide mixture into 10 to 12 patties (2 1/2 inches in diameter), and set on a small tray. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 200°; place an empty tray inside. Put flour in a shallow bowl, and add a pinch of salt. Stir together eggs and a pinch of salt in another shallow bowl. Arrange seeds in a third shallow bowl; add a pinch of salt. Dredge patties first in flour, then in egg, and finally in seeds.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add about 4 tablespoons oil and let stand until it shimmers—it should not smoke. Arrange 3 or 4 patties in skillet, and cook until dark golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer cooked patties to tray in oven, then repeat process until all patties are cooked. Serve immediately with leeks vinaigrette on the side.