Quesadillas (with Butternut Squash)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound chicken cutlets or boneless chicken breast , rinsed and dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder , or to taste
- 1/2 cup canned navy beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup butternut squash puree
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 4 (8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup bottled salsa
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, and chili powder, add it to the pan, and cook until no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side for cutlets. For chicken breast, cook 5 minutes per side, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 9 to 10 minutes longer. Cut the chicken into thin slices, or puree it, if necessary.
In a small bowl or mini-chopper, mash the beans with the sour cream. In another bowl, stir together the butternut squash puree and the cheese.
Spread the bean mixture over two of the tortillas, then arrange the chicken slices or spread the pureed chicken on top. Spread the cheese mixture over the other two tortillas and press one of each together to form sandwiches. Place on the baking sheet and bake until the tortillas are crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa.
From the book Deceptively Delicious SM