Adapted from Wine Bar Food, by Cathy Mantuano and Tony Mantuano, copyright © 2008. With permission from Clarkson Potter/Publishers.
This recipe is made from ingredients featured in The Great Pantry Makeover.
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter , slightly softened
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. capers (preferably salted), rinsed
- 1/2 cup vin santo or tawny port (dessert wine)
- 2 cans (15 ounces apiece) chickpeas , drained
- 1 tsp. white truffle oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Transfer to a food processor and add chickpeas and truffle oil. Puree into a paste. Add remaining butter and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Mound puree in a serving bowl and chill for at least 2 hours (up to 24 hours). To serve, spread on toasted brioche.