- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or rice oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound broccoli
- 1/8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 1 minute. Add vegetable broth and potato; bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, remove florets from broccoli. With a vegetable peeler, peel broccoli stems and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add all broccoli to saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
In a blender or food processor, puree broccoli mixture in batches until smooth. Return puree to saucepan; add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Bring soup to a simmer; remove from heat and whisk in sour cream. Divide soup among warmed bowls and garnish with roasted walnuts.