This autumn floral dress from Evans ($120), a British plus label new to the United States, has a wrap-style bodice that gives 48-year-old Cindy Kuhn, an actress and vintage-clothing entrepreneur, a long, lean look.
- Abby Z. has head-turning jeweled necklines. (AbbyZ.com)
- Amsale offers high-end evening wear for brides, bridesmaids, and "cocktail" events. (Amsale.com for stores)
- Evans, a sister company of Top Shop, is a terrific source for figure-friendly prints. (EvansLondon.com)
Igigi's fully lined dresses smooth lumps and bumps. (Igigi.com)
- Newport News' jersey has extra spandex for a more comfortable fit. (Newport-News.com)
- Olivia Harper offers well-cut jersey that doesn't cling or bunch up. (LeeLeesValise.com)
- Shape fx makes a sheath dress with a built-in power-liner control slip that slims. (Shapefx.com)
- Z from Zenobia has dependable office wear. (Saks Fifth Avenue; 877-612-7257)
Earrings, Kara Ross. Belt, Lai. Clutch, VBH. Shoes, Miu Miu.
"Most suits are like boxes," volunteer Hilary Harper, 29, says. But not the handsome cut of this denim-look jacket and pants (Rafaella, $100 and $78). "You can see I have a figure!"
- Calvin Klein can be counted on for office basics. (Select Bloomingdale's stores; 800-555-7467)
- Ellen Tracy is a source for modern, appropriate workwear. (Select Saks Fifth Avenue stores; 877-612-7257)
- AK Anne Klein is known for stylish day wear. (Macy's; 800-622-9748
- Kate Hill makes one of our favorite work suits—a single-breasted jacket with a wide-legged trouser. (Lord and Taylor; 800-223-7440)
- Rafaella carries updated classics that also work as separates. (Select Macy's stores; 800-622-9748)
- Semantiks is useful for fall suits, like its stylish day-to-evening tweed pantsuit. (Nordstrom.com) Shell, Z from Zenobia, $525. Watch, Cartier. Bangles, Coomi. Shoes, Banana Republic.
- Jones New York Collection makes a suit pant with an extended tab closure that camouflages the elastic in the waistband. (Macy's; 800-622-9748)
- INC International Concepts offers flattering wide-legged trousers. (Macys.com)
- Lauren by Ralph Lauren designs a winning straight-legged silhouette. (RalphLauren.com)
- Magaschoni makes a superslimming "Magic Pant" that delivers on its promise. (Select Saks Fifth Avenue stores; 877-612-7257)
- Old Navy offers a wide selection at approachable prices. (OldNavy.com)
- Style&Co. has a great full-cut pant. (Macys.com)
A large bust can make a blouse pull, creating gaps. But stretch cotton allows room for the bosom.
The shirt on Sage Salzer, 32, has pintuck seaming that adds a slimming vertical slant (Calvin Klein, $108). Coat and skirt ($550), Marina Rinaldi. Earrings, Charles Garnier. Watch, Emporio Armani. Tights, Hue. Boots, Cole Haan.
- Eileen Fisher offers a smart new organic-cotton, dark-wash stretch jean. (EileenFisher.com)
- Just My Size makes a great trouser jean with a very discreetly elasticized waistband in back. (WalMart.com)
- Lane Bryant's "Right Fit" denim trouser has a flattering wide leg to offset hips. (LaneBryant.com)
- Not Your Daughter's Jeans " Tummy Tuck Jeans" have panels that suck you in and lift your rear. (Nordstrom.com)
- Paige Premium Denim (select Nordstrom stores; 800-695-8000) and Svoboda by Jessica Svoboda (SvobodaStyle.com) offer styles that are as up-to-the-minute as the trendiest labels.
Activist Linnet Caban-Brown, 26, looks slender in horizontal stripes because they segue from pale to dark.
- Bella Vita is a youthful line that—like all lines listed here—can accommodate wider feet. (DesignerShoes.com)
- California Magdesians is a fashionable source for footwear that says evening—think metallics and faux skin—without high heels. (Nordstrom.com)
- Lane Bryant has a standout selection of boots. (LaneBryant.com)
- Ros Hommerson offers a range of ankle boots in a versatile, neutral palette. (DesignerShoes.com)
- Söfft has comfortable but not frumpy low-heeled options. (ShoeMall.com)
- Barely There has slimming camisoles. (BarelyThere.com)
- Body Wrap offers sleek, modern pieces, like the tank top and bike shorts all-in-one garment. (Macys.com)
- Flexees by Maidenform makes a high-rise control brief (useful now with low-rise jeans on the wane). (FigLeaves.com)
- Grenier combines old-fashioned lace with modern technology. (BraSmyth.com)
- Miraclesuit has a tummy-targeting cincher that helps define the waist. (Macys.com)
- Va Bien builds front panels into many of its pieces for top-notch control. (VabienLingerie.com)
- Chantelle offers silky soft, full-coverage bras. (BareNecessities.com)
- Comfort Choice has a noteworthy range of elegant colors. (Roamans.com)
- Elomi by Eveden makes supersexy bras and matching panties. (HerRoom.com)
- Glamorise's Magic Lift options keep you in place without underwire. (Roamans.com)
- Goddess by Eveden is a favorite for no-line T-shirt bras. (HerRoom.com)
- Le Mystère has a camisole with built-in underwire. (Dillards.com)
Cultivating a healthy body image is important to Sage (she advises middle-school girls). A whirl of taffeta, sexy yet covered (Rickie Freeman for Teri Jon, $640), enhances her hourglass shape.