Why you'll love the look: You can apply the new neutral lipsticks and glosses without a mirror, but their creamy textures and touch of shine make them look as polished as a meticulously applied crimson.
How you'll wear it: With a rosy blush and a couple of coats of mascara. "Even the most luscious nudes require a little extra definition on the rest of the face so you don't look washed-out," says makeup artist Nick Barose. Select your neutral shade wisely. Nudes tinged with bronze are gorgeous on dark skin, and peachy versions bring warmth to olive complexions. The fair-skinned must tread most carefully: Test shades on your hand to make sure they don't have a hint of frost; the best choices have pink undertones.
- Prestige Cosmetics Classic Lipstick in Spunky, $4.50.
- MAC Lipstick in Siss, $14.
- Clarins Joli Rouge in Hazelnut, $23.
- Flirt! High Wattage in Golden Confetti, $10.
- Chanel Glossimer in Gold Shine, $26.
- Aveda Uruku Lip Pigment in Sheer Ivory Nut, $14.
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Just Enough Buff, $8.
Why you'll love the look: It's never been so easy, or gorgeous, to go green. These lush hues of moss and fern are infused with a hint of gold pearl, so they're far more elegant than earthy.
How you'll wear it: Judiciously. "Just a hint of green can enhance any eye color, so less is definitely more," says makeup artist Matthew Nigara, who recommends edging only the upper lashline in green and blending the color outward with a Q-tip. If you want to tone down the brightness, layer the green on top of a soft brown. Fair skin can carry deep, concentrated greens; medium skin is best with lighter, golden khakis; and dark complexions glow against sparkling emeralds.
- Clinique Colour Surge Eye Shadow Stay Matte in Martini, $18.
- Victoria's Secret Velvety Eye Shadow in Brazen, $12.
- Dior 2-Colour Eyeshadow in Tropical Look, $35.
- Sue Devitt Microaquatic Hydrating Marine Mineral Eye Palette in Green Isles, $38.
- MAC Pigment in Antique Green, $20.
- YSL 5 Colour Harmony in Garden of Eden, $56.
- Shu Uemura Duo Eyeshadow in Tantalizer, $36.
Why you'll love the look: Because it's bold, glamorous, and a little unexpected. This season's spectrum of grapes, violets, and mauves includes options for lips and eyes (shown here) as well as nails.
How you'll wear it: One product at a time. These are rich colors, so you don't want to binge on them. Alternate between tawny plum lips and a sheer violet eyeshadow. Or try a dark purple mascara one day (Clarins Wonder Length Mascara in Wonder Plum, $24, gives just a touch more color than a brown) and fig nail polish the next. Shades that veer toward raspberry are ideal for pale skin (anything too lilac has blue tones that could make skin look bruised); warm maroons are most flattering on olive complexions; and deep, dramatic purples complement dark skin tones.
- Laura Mercier Eye Colour in Kir Royal, $22.
- Avon Ultra Color Rich Lipstick in Vintage Vamp, $6.50.
- L'Oréal HIP Jelly Balm in Luscious, $9.
- Clarins Colour Quartet in So Chic, $39.
- Shiseido Silky Eye Shadow Quad in Rose Tones, $35.
- Bourjois So Rouge Lipstick in Rouge Hype, $15.
Why you'll love the look: Intense pigments are married with supersilky textures in these shadows and lipsticks, giving you a glowy (but not glossy) finish. "The formulas make it really easy to wear rich colors," says Barose. "They're not matte, which can look chalky and harsh, but they're not too shimmery, either, so they won't accentuate fine lines."
How you'll wear it: Though you may associate velvet with holiday party dresses, this makeup works anytime, anywhere. Concentrate the color at the center of your lids or lips and then gently blend it out. For a soft, diffused effect (and the most fun), use your fingers and fully experience these cool, cushiony textures.
- DuWop Crush, $27.
- Chantecaille Shadow and the Rose Palette, $79.
- Benefit Full-Finish Lipstick in Sassy-frass, $18.
- Estée Lauder Signature Eyeshadow Quad in Berry Truffle, $35.
- Flirt! Glamourazzi Dreamy Eyes, $16.
- Le Métier de Beauté True Colour Eye Shadow in Jojo, $30.