3 Ways to Transform Wet Hair While You Sleep
Wake Up to More VolumeFine hair has a tendency to fall flat. These four fast steps will add body overnight:
1. Spritz all over with a volumizing spray, which swells the hair shaft as it dries and makes hair look thicker.
2. Pull it all into a high pony at your crown and twist the tail—winding it onto itself to create a loose bun. Why loose? Because a too-tight chignon not only prevents hair from drying all the way through but also could lead to breakage (especially if your hair is relaxed).
3. With a few long bobbies, pin the bun in place.
4. In the morning, let your hair down and finger comb (using a brush creates frizz).
Wake Up to WavesTry Gibson's technique for shoulder-length hair and skip the curling iron in the morning.
1. Apply a light mousse from roots to ends to help hair hold its shape as it dries.
2. From hairline to nape, divide your hair down the middle with a comb, separating it into two equal sections.
3. Braid each side from the middle down. Starting any higher will create crimps near your roots.
4. Secure the end of each braid with a metal-free elastic.
5. Pull out the elastics or pins in the morning and unwind your hair. For a beachy effect, mist a salt spray all over your hair and scrunch with your hands.
Wake Up to Less FrizzGiving your hair a break from heat can actually be beneficial—especially for those with natural waves. "The less you do to curls the better," says Gibson.
1. Apply a light leave-in conditioner and use a wide-tooth comb to distribute it to your ends. A brush or a fine-tooth comb can destroy your curl pattern and create kinks.
2. Part your hair down the middle. Divide each side into three smaller sections.
3. Starting at the bottom of one of the smaller sections, create a pin curl by wrapping the ends up and over two fingers as you would a foam roller and continue winding up toward your roots. (This prevents curls from tangling or catching on your pillow at night.)
4. Slip your fingers out and secure the pin curl to your scalp using a clip. Then repeat steps three and four on the other five sections.
5. Remove the clips in the a.m. and lightly spritz your hair with water to soften curls and eliminate static.
More Hair Ideas