Read Keisha Whitaker's blog!
TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Find a rideshare partner. Ask a co-worker, fellow student, or friend.
- Check with your company or school to see if there is an organized rideshare program.
- Follow these guidelines:
- Meet new rideshare partner(s) before your first commute.
- Discuss preferences like seating arrangements, music, eating, cell phone usage, and smoking.
- Set up a probationary period to try out the arrangement.
- Provide information about your rideshare partner(s) to someone else in case of emergency.
- Create an equitable driving and cost arrangement.
- Be punctual.
- Do something meaningful with the $2,520 you save.
- Only 10.2% of workers rideshare.
- 45.3 cents per mile is the average cost to drive a car due to fuel, maintenance, tires, depreciation, and insurance.
- $2,174 can be saved annually by each person in a 2-person, 40-mile roundtrip rideshare.
- 12,000 gallons of gasoline would be saved each year for every 100 people who paired up into a daily rideshare.
- 20 pounds of CO2 is produced by burning 1 gallon of gasoline.
- A 10% nationwide increase in transit ridership would save 135 million gallons of gasoline a year.
- 34% of roads are in poor or mediocre conditions due to heavy usage and lack of proper repairs. Save your car, the roads, and your tax dollars.