Read Keisha Whitaker's blog!
TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Call your physician or locate a testing facility near you and make an appointment to get tested for Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) and HIV. Testing is anonymous and can be free of charge.
- Get the information you need before getting tested. Counseling and support are available to help assess your risks and understand your results.
- If your test results are negative and you are sexually active, use a condom. Abstinence is always the safest policy.
- If you test positive, be responsible: get treated and tell your intimate partner. Be honest and give full disclosure.
- Don't use drugs. If you do, don't share the needle.
- The U.S. has the highest rate of STDs in the industrialized world, with over 65 million people infected.
- 19 million new cases of STDs are diagnosed every year.
- 1 in 4 teens contracts an STD each year.
- 1 in 2 sexually active persons will contract an STD by age 25.
- Over $15.3 billion is spent each year to diagnose and treat STDs, excluding HIV.
- Nearly 1.2 million people are estimated to have HIV, and 25% are unaware of their infection.
- 50% of the population will likely have an STD at some point in their lifetime.
- STDs and HIV and preventable.