What's in a Name?
Let's cut through the most platitudinous argument: "A family shares a name." Um, nuh-uh. Did your grandmother have the same last name as you? Was she still your Nana? Conversely, does having the same last name mean you'll always stay a family? Ask the Gibsons or the McCartneys or the McGreeveys or…
What's in a name? You tell me…
- Would you want to lay down seven grand to buy a wedding dress from Vera Becker? (Vera Wang?)
- How about listen to a song from Mariah Cannon, Jennifer Anthony or Barbra Brolin? ( Mariah Carey, Jennifer Lopez, Barbra Streisand)
- Read a cover story on Angie Pitt? (Angelina Jolie)
- Netflix an old film with Elizabeth Hilton Wilding Todd Fisher Burton Warner Fortensky? (Elizabeth Taylor, natch)
- Or get your nightly news from Katie Monahan? (Katie Couric)
- Gloria Bale needs her surname like a fish needs a Steinem. (Gloria Steinem)
- And does the name Sonia Noonan suggest an "extraordinary journey"? (Sonia Sotomayor)
Faith Salie is a writer, actor and humorist who contributes to O, The Oprah Magazine 's ethics column. She is a television commentator and a former public radio host.