Advice from Patti Novak
Basic Dating Etiquette
Your mom may have taught you to say "please" and "thank you," but matchmaker Patti Novak is taking your etiquette lesson to the next level. How to get out of a disastrous date with class and impress the man or woman of your dreams.
- Do understand table manners. If you're going out to a restaurant for a first date, learn dining etiquette.
- Do not chew with your mouth open or hold your utensils like a toothbrush.
- Do not drink too much on a date. It will affect how you look, the way you feel the next day and how you represent yourself.
- If you are a smoker, do not smoke on your way to the date. You don't want to show up smelling like an ashtray. You have no choice today as a smoker but to be polite, so maintain that from the beginning of the date until the end.
- If you're trying to get out of a date, you should plan a phone call beforehand with a friend or your kids. Tell your date something came up and you have to go. If you feel you have to be honest, try not to offend your date. You don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.
- For men, be careful not to flirt with the bartenders and waitresses, etc. Being nice can sometimes be mistaken for flirting. Women are very sensitive to where men's eyes are.
Information from Buffalo Niagra Introductions, Inc. Copyright © from Buffalo Niagra Introductions, Inc.