19 Ways to Connect with Your Teenager
...you have great ideas.
...you are funny.
...you introduce me to great music.
...you have a great smile.
...your hugs are the best.
- Visit a make-your-own-pottery place and create a plate for each person in your family, or several pieces to celebrate a special event.
- Bake together. Make ice cream. Create an Italian feast of fresh pasta, bread and tiramisu, with a famous aria playing in the background.
- Bring armloads of comforters, pillows and blankets in front of the largest TV in the house and have movie night, all cozy together.
- Pick your own strawberries and make jam. Enjoy life. It's delicious.
- Build a campfire in the backyard (in a grill or fire pit), and roast hot dogs on sticks and make s'mores with chocolate bars, marshmallows and graham crackers. Sit around, tell stories and enjoy the night air and the flames as they warm your fingers and toes.
- Go miniature golfing together. Set up teams and prepare to laugh as children and adults alike compete for the lowest score. Give prizes to the winners, both old and young.
- Get tickets for your local professional, minor league or college baseball game. Spend an afternoon in the sun eating chocolate malts, peanuts and singing during the seventh-inning stretch. (If you get there early, you may be able to catch fly balls from batting practice.) Consider tailgating, and create and serve a feast from the trunk of your car.
- Go ice skating or to a roller rink and dance to the music booming over the loudspeakers.
- Check out the local public gardens in your area, perhaps one that serves Chinese tea or has acres of roses.
- Journey down to your local theater and support your neighborhood thespians as they perform in A Midsummer Night's Dream or Annie Get Your Gun.
- Has the fair come to town? Carnivals and fairgrounds are a good way to change your routine and celebrate your country roots.
- Bust out all of the board games you can find. Enjoy some healthy competition as you play. Fill bowls with popcorn, chips, nuts and chocolates for the competitors.
- Sing at home in Karaoke style. Crank up the tunes and laugh as everyone takes a turn singing their favorite song.
8 ways to make meaningful moments with anyone you love
14 artful activiities for family fun
Oprah.com readers' favorite family activities