There are many reasons teens might stay in abusive relationships:
What makes a relationship healthy?
- In high school, status and self-esteem are often intricately linked to a teen's relationship.
- She may be in love and want the violence to end, but not the relationship.
- In an abusive relationship, a teen can feel like no one understands the abuser but her.
- She might fear that if you find out, you won't let the couple date any longer.
- She may not have healthy relationships to compare this to, and she may see abusive behavior modeled at home.
- She might think this is just what "being in love" is like.
- She might fear bringing shame to the family.
- She may worry that you will be disappointed in her.
© Liz Claiborne Inc.'s Love Is Not Abuse campaign, www.loveisnotabuse.com