An Excerpt from Too Close for Comfort? Questioning the Intimacy of Today's New Mother-Daughter Relationship
- Your mother wants to feel loved and appreciated for making you the wonderful adult you are. She wants you to call and sincerely say, "Mom, how was your day?"
- Your mother wants to be included in your life. If you don't have time to see her, try to say it nicely. It never hurts to be considerate and protect her feelings.
- Realize it's difficult for some mothers to stop seeing their adult daughters as younger daughters.
- Try to understand your mother's life circumstances, the choices she makes, and the challenges she faces, especially when you are engaged in minor conflicts.
- Learn to live within the consequences of your conduct and be prepared for your mother's disapproval when you make a decision with which she disagrees.
- Be clear in your intentions; you want to be talked to as an adult. Continue the dialogue even when the going gets tough.
Find out more about what the authors have to say about mother-daughter relationships