- Encourage, support, and, once again, bite your tongue!
- Continue to nurture your daughter. Being a new mother is very stressful.
- Provide a comforting and friendly ear.
- Provide kind and reassuring attention.
- Assist and help when you can.
- Speak up if you see a threat to your grandchild's safety. At times your advice will be welcome. But you may have to remind yourself from time to time that you've had your turn!
- Enjoy your grandchildren!
Excerpted from Too Close for Comfort? Questioning the Intimacy of Today's New Mother-Daughter Relationship by Linda Perlman Gordon and Susan Morris Shaffer © 2009 by Linda Perlman Gordon and Susan Morris Shaffer. Excerpted by permission of The Berkley Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.