Smothered Pork Chops Recipe
Active Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon herbs de provence
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 bone-in pork chops (each 1/2 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian dried herb blend
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
For the pork chops: Whisk together the onion powder, herbs de provence and cayenne in a shallow bowl, then season with salt and black pepper. Put the flour in a separate dish.
Pat the pork dry with paper towels. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and then coat both sides of each chop with the spice blend. Dredge the chops in the flour, turning to coat and shaking off any excess.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the pork chops and fry until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the pork chops and let drain on a wire rack set on a baking sheet or a plate lined with paper towels.
For the gravy: Add the butter and onion to the same skillet you used for the pork and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, Italian herb blend and thyme and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, to toast for about 1 minute. Then add the cream and let simmer for 1 minute before adding the chicken broth. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the gravy is thickened and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
Return all the pork chops to the skillet and simmer in the gravy until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Serve the chops covered with the gravy and sprinkled with parsley.
Watch Tregaye's Way Saturdays at 12:30 p.m. ET/PT, or stream full episodes on the Watch OWN app.