Grandma's Halfsie Mac 'n' Cheese Recipe
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more at room temperature for baking dish
- One 16-ounce package elbow macaroni
- Pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Gruyere
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded provolone
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- One-half 16-ounce block processed cheese product, such as Velveeta, cut into cubes
- 3 cups heavy cream
- One 10.75-can cream of mushroom soup
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup (1 ounce) finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat the oven 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 4-quart baking dish.
Cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta, place it in a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Set aside.
Mix the Cheddar, Gruyere and provolone in a medium bowl.
Heat 4 tablespoons of the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Gradually whisk in the cream and cook, while whisking, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the granulated garlic and red pepper flakes, then add the cheese product and cook, stirring, until melted and combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add 2 cups of the shredded cheese mixture to the cream mixture and cook, whisking, until smooth. Add another 2 cups cheese mixture and cook, whisking, until the sauce is nice and thick, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the mushroom soup and stir to combine, then stir in the cooled pasta until it is fully coated with the cheese sauce.
Add a thin layer of the shredded cheese mixture to the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Ladle half of the pasta mixture into the dish and top evenly with 2 more cups of the shredded cheese mixture. Ladle in the remaining pasta mixture and top with the remaining cheese mixture followed by the mozzarella.
Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Add the panko, Parmesan and melted butter to a small bowl and stir to combine. Sprinkle half of the panko mixture over half of the assembled dish. Stir the parsley into the remaining panko mixture and sprinkle this over the other half of the dish. Bake until lightly browned and bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Watch Tregaye's Way Saturdays at 12:30 p.m. ET/PT, or stream full episodes on the Watch OWN app.