Blackened Chicken Salad Recipe
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes (includes cooling time)
Ease of Preparation: Easy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for the casserole dish
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pink Himalayan salt
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped shelled salted pistachios
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- Green leaf lettuce and sliced tomatoes, for serving
For the blackened chicken: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Brush a 9-by-9-inch square or 11-by-7-inch rectangular (10 cup) casserole dish with some olive oil.
Add the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne and 2 teaspoons salt to a small bowl and whisk together until blended. Sprinkle on both sides of the chicken breasts.
Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to the prepared casserole dish and cover with parchment. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the chicken reads 165 degrees F, 25 to 30 minutes.
Let the chicken cool for 20 minutes before dicing up for the salad.
For the chicken salad: Add the diced chicken breasts to a large bowl. Add the mayonnaise, cranberries, pistachios, sour cream, honey, Dijon, celery and scallions and fold together to combine.
For the sandwiches: Divide the chicken salad among half of the sourdough bread slices. Layer each with lettuce and tomato and top with the remaining bread. Slice in half and serve.
Watch Tregaye's Way Saturdays at 12:30 p.m. ET/PT, or stream full episodes on the Watch OWN app.