Savory Bread Pudding with Corn, Cheddar and Thyme Recipe
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan
- 8 cups cubed (1 inch) good-quality dense white bread, such as Italian or French bread (about 1 pound)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 1⁄2 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups (16 ounces) frozen sweet white corn kernels, preferably organic
- 4 green onions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups shredded white Cheddar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 3-quart or 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spread the bread cubes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Toast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until the bread is lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
In a saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the yellow onion and a pinch of salt and saute, stirring frequently, until translucent and just starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the corn, green onions, garlic, paprika, thyme and a big pinch of salt and saute, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are warmed through and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, 1 cup of the Cheddar and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, then season the custard with pepper.
Toss the vegetable mixture with the bread and another 1 cup of Cheddar. Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish and cover with the custard. Press down and stir with a spoon so the custard is readily absorbed by the bread and is evenly distributed. Set aside for at least 15 minutes or up to overnight, covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated.
Bake until the pudding is golden brown and set, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup Cheddar and bake just until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve hot.
Watch Tanya's Kitchen Table Saturdays at 1:30 p.m. ET/PT, or stream full episodes on the Watch OWN app.