Roasted Beet Soup Recipe
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes (includes cooling time)
Ease of Preparation: Easy
- 5 pounds beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- 8 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup minced fresh peeled ginger, reserving 1 tablespoon
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fresh fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 heads garlic, cut in half, plus 1 tablespoon minced
- 2 tablespoons whole fresh tarragon leaves, plus 2 tablespoons chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 oranges, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Herbsaint
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Honey, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Wash the beets and then place them in a baking pan. Toss them with the olive oil and season with sea salt. Add 1/2 cup of water. Cover with aluminum foil and cook beets until a knife inserts easily, about 1 hour.
While the beets are roasting, place the remaining 8 cups of water in a large pot along with the ginger, yellow onion, fennel bulb, garlic heads, whole tarragon leaves, white wine, orange wedges, fennel seeds, thyme and Herbsaint. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour to allow the flavors to develop. Pass through a fine sieve into a clean pot, pressing gently on the solids to get out all of the broth.
Transfer the cooked beets to a medium bowl and cover with a kitchen towel until cool, about 15 minutes. Use a paper towel to rub the skin off of the beets. Cut the beets into medium dice.
Add the beets, reserved 1 tablespoon ginger, red onion, scallions, spinach leaves, minced garlic and chopped tarragon to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook just until heated through. Stir in honey to taste and serve hot.
Watch Tanya's Kitchen Table Saturdays at 1:30 p.m. ET/PT, or stream full episodes on the Watch OWN app.