The 1+1 (You & Me) Cocktail Recipe
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy
- Ice, for serving and shaking
- Four 1.5-ounce shots (3/4 cup total) cold brewed butterfly pea flower tea (see Cook's Note)
- 2 wedges Ruby Red grapefruit, plus 3 half-moon slices for garnish
- 3 sprigs fresh mint, plus more leaves for garnish
- 3 teaspoons turbinado sugar, plus more for garnish
- Six 1.5-ounce shots (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons total) vodka
- Grapefruit-flavored sparkling soda such as San Pellegrino Pompelmo, for serving
Special equipment: a small kitchen blow-torch
Fill 3 clear old-fashioned glasses with ice and add 1/4 cup of the butterfly pea flower tea to each glass.
In a cocktail shaker, muddle the grapefruit wedges, mint sprigs and turbinado sugar. Pour the vodka into the shaker and add ice. Shake well and then strain into the glasses (this is where the mixture turns from deep blue to purple), dividing evenly. Top off each glass with sparkling water.
On a rimmed baking sheet, lay out the grapefruit slices. Sprinkle each slice with some of the turbinado sugar. Brulee each slice with a small kitchen torch. Let cool slightly, then make a slit in the rind and flesh with a sharp paring knife.
Place a grapefruit slice on the rim of each glass. Garnish with more mint leaves.
Cook's Note: Butterfly pea flower tea is made from a combination of dried blue pea flowers and lemongrass and can be found at some natural food stores and online. When the brewed tea is mixed with an acidic ingredient like grapefruit, its color changes depending on the pH level of that liquid—here to a pretty purple.
Propane gas torches are highly flammable and should be kept away from heat, open flame and prolonged exposure to sunlight. They should be used only in well-ventilated areas. Follow torch manufacturer's instructions for use.
Watch Lovely Bites Saturdays at 12 p.m. ET/PT, or stream full episodes on the Watch OWN app.