Sweet Potato Gratin Recipe
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy
- Unsalted butter, at room temperature, for the baking dish
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8-by-8-inch baking dish.
In a small pot, simmer the cream, rosemary and nutmeg over low heat until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and then temper with the warm cream mixture (this means to slowly add the hot cream to the eggs while whisking).
In the prepared baking dish, layer a quarter of the sweet potatoes, cream mixture, Parmesan and Gruyere. Repeat layering three more times. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the top is browned and the potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool slightly before serving.
Watch Lovely Bites Saturdays at 12 p.m. ET/PT, or stream full episodes on the Watch OWN app.