Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces and at room temperature
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup small diced celery
- 1/2 cup small diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup small diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Micro greens, for garnish
For the grits: In a large saucepan, bring the milk and chicken broth to a boil. Add the grits in a slow, steady stream while whisking. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the grits are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the cream cheese and season with salt. Grits will stay warm, covered, for up to 10 minutes.
For the shrimp: While the grits are cooking, in a deep saute pan over medium-high heat, combine the butter, celery, bell pepper and onion. Saute until the veggies are softened, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with the seafood seasoning. Pour the wine into the veggies and cook until it is almost evaporated. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice and cream. Cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the shrimp and cook until opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes.
Divide the grits and the shrimp mixture among 4 plates or shallow bowls. Garnish each with some micro-greens.
Watch Lovely Bites Saturdays at 12 p.m. ET/PT, or stream full episodes on the Watch OWN app.