New York Strip Steak with Chimichurri Recipe
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Ease of Preparation: Easy
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (with ribs and seeds removed)
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup avocado oil
- One 2-pound New York strip steak (about 1 1/2 inches thick), at room temperature (see Cook's Note)
- Garlic powder, for seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
For the chimichurri: In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, lemon zest and juice, garlic, shallot and jalapeno. Season with salt. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Then stir in the herbs and whisk in the avocado oil.
For the steak: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Pat the steak dry with a paper towel, then season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat. Cook the steak for 2 minutes on each side, then transfer the skillet to the oven and cook the steak until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 135 degrees F, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain and serve with the chimichurri.
Cook's Note: Before you begin, let the steak sit out for about 30 minutes so it can come to room temperature.
Watch Lovely Bites Saturdays at 12 p.m. ET/PT, or stream full episodes on the Watch OWN app.