Bison Burger with Thyme-Caramelized Onions Recipe
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground bison
- 4 slices sharp Cheddar (about 4 ounces)
- 4 brioche buns
- Dill pickles, sliced tomatoes, red leaf lettuce and sliced red onion, for garnish
Preheat a grill for medium-high heat.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then add the avocado oil and onions. Cook until the onions are softened and starting to turn golden, stirring occasionally, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the brown sugar, butter and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are a deep mahogany brown, about 5 minutes more.
Season the bison with salt and pepper and shape into 4 burgers. Add the burgers to the hot grill and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare, placing a slice of Cheddar on each patty during the last minutes to allow it to melt.
Build the burgers on the buns with the caramelized onions, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce and red onion.
Watch Lovely Bites Saturdays at 12 p.m. ET/PT, or stream full episodes on the Watch OWN app.