Low-Cal Pizza Recipe
- 1 package active yeast
- 1 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 Tbsp. agave or honey
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup warm water , at 110°
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes , seeded and broken into chunks
- 1 ball buffalo mozzarella
- 3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese , freshly grated (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
In a food processor, add the yeast, warm water and agave or honey in water. Allow mixture to activate.
Using the feed tube on a food processor, add spoonfuls of wheat and all-purpose flour. Add until it bubbles, then add salt, olive oil and the remaining flour. Pulse the mixture until it forms a ball. Do not overmix or the dough will become tough.
Allow to rest and let dough double in bulk for about 25 to 30 minutes. Then cut dough into 3 small balls.
Roll one small ball out into two circular 14" pizzas or three 10" pizzas.
Roll out dough to 1/4" thick on parchment paper, using flour sparingly.
For toppings, add 1 tomato torn and spread on pizza crust, 2 torn slices of mozzarella and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
Pick-up parchment and pizza, and slide gently on to pizza stone. About 4 minutes into baking, take out the parchment paper. Bake until lightly brown and cheese is melted.
Garnish with fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Inactive prep time: 25 to 30 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes