Bacon Mac and Tomatoes (B.M.T.)
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter or oil
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 2 cups heavy cream, warmed
- 2 cups smoked gouda, grated
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
- ground white pepper
1. Heat the butter or oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When the butter melts and starts to foam, add the flour. Whisk until the flour smells nutty, about 3-5 minutes.
2. Combine milk and cream. Add the milk mixture about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing the milk to thicken before adding more.
3. Allow the mixture to simmer until it will coat the back of a spoon. This is the béchamel.
4. To make a Mornay sauce, remove from heat and add the cheese and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- canola oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- splash of milk
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. blackening seasoning
- 1 green tomato, medium diced
1. Place about 2 inches of canola oil in a heavy large sauce pan, and then preheat oil to 350°.
2. Place flour in a shallow dish.
3. Place eggs and milk in a large bowl, and mix well together.
4. Place panko bread crumbs and cornmeal in a shallow dish, and mix with blackening seasoning.
5. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Dredge tomatoes in flour and pat off loose flour, then dip in the egg mixture and allow any excess egg to drip off, and then finally dredge into the panko bread crumbs mixture until well coated with bread crumbs. Repeat until all tomatoes are coated.
7. Place tomatoes in hot canola oil in batches, and fry until golden brown on all sides.
8. Drain fried tomatoes on paper towels.
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound macaroni pasta, cooked
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs, toasted
1. Place bacon in a medium sauté pan. Cook bacon over medium-low heat until crispy and all fat has rendered out. Remove from heat, and stir in panko.
2. Preheat oven broiler.
3. Place pasta in a large bowl.
4. Add the Mornay sauce to the pasta, and stir to combine.
5. Place pasta mixture into desired serving dishes and top with the bread crumbs.
6. Place macaroni and cheese under the broiler, and cook until bread crumbs turn golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and top with bacon and fried green tomato croutons.