- Get to know your seller. Contact and communicate with them and research their reputation by checking their feedback rating.
- Pay safely. Pay with a fast, easy and secure payment method such as PayPal. Do not pay with cash or instant money transfer services. These methods are banned on eBay because they are unsafe.
- Never click on a link or reply to emails that ask for personal information. eBay and PayPal will never ask you for your account or credit card details, username or password in any communications.
- Download the eBay Toolbar with account guard. This will protect you against clicking onto fake eBay and PayPal websites.
- Educate yourself before trading on the Internet. Check out the eBay Security and Resolution Center for the latest tips and advice about how to avoid common buying mistakes that increase the risk of a bad buying experience.
Western Union strongly advises consumers not to use money transfer services when sending money to someone they don't know personally. This sounds like simple advice, but scam artists are intelligent and creative. More and more frequently, these individuals are using the Internet, mail and telephone to create the illusion of a relationship. It's important for consumers to remember that sharing a few e-mails or even a phone call, does not mean you truly know the individual on the other end of the line. And, of course, the old adage holds true…if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Western Union cares about the consumers who use our business. We know they work hard for their money. That's why we are working to educate people about the various types of consumer fraud. For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please visit www.westernunion.com.