Sour Cream Ice Cream with Caramelized Pear Compote
- 1 container (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 vanilla bean , split open or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon (optional)
- 2 teaspoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 large firm-ripe Bartlett pears , peeled, cored and thinly sliced
Freeze sour cream mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. In the meantime, place an 8-cup storage container in freezer. When ice cream is done, scoop into container and freeze at least four hours, or overnight, until solid.
To make compote: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in sugar and cinnamon stick, if using. Cook, stirring frequently, until sugar mixture turns caramel color, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a long-handled spoon, carefully stir in brandy and lemon juice (mixture will spatter). Add pears and cook, gently stirring occasionally, until pears are tender and juices thicken slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and discard cinnamon stick.
To serve, scoop about 1/2 cup ice cream into each of eight dessert bowls and top with warm pear compote.