New You, Coming Through!
Firm Up Your Jawline
If you've begun to see a softening of your jawline, spend five minutes every morning and night chomping as though you were chewing a piece of meat. This will strengthen the jaw muscles and create more definition. (Don't do this if you have TMJ.)
Make Your Fingers Look Graceful
File your nails into an oval shape—it's elongating. A brave move: If you've never worn red nail polish, try it. Shiny (and short) red nails look glamorous and pulled together.
Soften Feet in an Instant
Faster than a foot scrub! Stronger than a pumice! A 15-minute at-home peel is all it takes to make your dry, calloused feet soft and smooth. (Try Elemis Papaya Enzyme Peel, $42.)
Change Your Concept of Working Out
—it doesn't have to mean clocking in at the gym for 30 minutes three times a week. Incorporate fitness into your life: Instead of calling a friend to vent, ask her to meet you for a power walk (or take one by yourself). Rather than hitting the fridge during commercials, try a couple of minutes of jumping jacks. These short, painless exercise stints eventually all add up to a stronger, leaner, happier you.
For better z's. replace your pillow every year. If you're a side sleeper, you'll need a firmer one; a back sleeper needs a flatter one; a stomach sleeper needs a very flat one. Also, choose a pillow that's hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and made with synthetic down or foam. Sleepbetter.org offers a test to help you choose the right pillow for you.
SeeYourself as Others Do
Experts believe that others think you're 20 percent more attractive than you think you are.
- Ji Baek, owner and founder of Rescue Beauty Lounge in New York City
- Cristina Bartolucci, celebrity makeup artist and creative director of DuWop
- Trae Bodge, cofounder and creative director of Three Custom Color Specialists
- Michael Breus, PhD, author of Beauty Sleep
- Loretta Ciraldo, MD, professor of cosmetic dermatology at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
- David Colbert, MD, New York City dermatologist
- Tracey Cunningham, Los Angeles colorist
- Soli Davis, aesthetician at Skin Perfection Spa in New York City
- Kacy Duke, author of The Show It Love Workout and consultant to Equinox fitness clubs
- Rick Gradone, Los Angeles hairstylist
- Charlie Green, celebrity makeup artist
- Debra Luftman, MD, cosmetic dermatologist in Beverly Hills
- Burton Machen, hairstylist and co-owner of Salon Maxime in Beverly Hills
- Serge Normant, global creative consultant for John Frieda
- Napoleon Perdis, celebrity makeup artist
- Eva Ritvo, MD, associate professor of psychiatry and dermatology at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
- Jet Rhys, owner of Jet Rhys Hair Salon in San Diego
- Joanna Schlip, Physicians Formula celebrity makeup artist
- Shaun-Thomas, BECCA national makeup artist
- Jin Soon, owner of Jin Soon Natural Hand and Foot Spa in New York City
- Andrea Thau, spokeswoman for the American Optometric Association
- Tina Turnbow, New York City makeup artist
- Kim Vo, of the Kim Vo Salon at the Mirage in Las Vegas