Shut 'Em Down
Close the accounts that you know or believe have been tampered with and notify the sponsoring institution(s) of the theft. You usually have to provide the company with two documents: 1) a report filed with the local, state or federal law enforcement agency and 2) an identity theft report.

Some companies provide their own forms for the latter, but most accept the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Affidavit, which is available online at www.consumer/gov/idtheft. There, you can also find a link to file your complaint with the FTC. Or you can call the FTC's Identity Theft Hotline at 877-438-4338, or write to:

Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20580
Please note: This is general information and is not intended to be legal advice. You should consult with your own financial advisor before making any major financial decisions, including investments or changes to your portfolio, and a qualified legal professional before executing any legal documents or taking any legal action. Harpo Productions, Inc., OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, Discovery Communications LLC and their affiliated companies and entities are not responsible for any losses, damages or claims that may result from your financial or legal decisions.


Next Story