Oprah Just Unveiled the Seven Books That Help Her Through Tough Times
"For me, there is no best life without books."
Photo: Courtesy of O Magazine
Check out her stack of uplifting books below, which includes the legendary Toni Morrison (of course!).During this turbulent, uncertain time, it can be hard to focus on anything—even on one good book. That's why today, Oprah announced that over the coming weeks, she'll be conducting conversations on both the Oprah's Book Club and Apple social platforms around seven books she knows and trusts and revisits time and again.
The "Books That Help Me Through" book stack has been personally curated by Oprah. "In each of these books," Oprah said, "and for various reasons, I find comfort, beauty, inspiration, reassurance. At a time when the ground is shifting beneath us, we need to continue to find ways of living our best lives, and for me, there is no best life without books."
Take a look at all seven selections below.
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, which Oprah says has changed the course of her life and continues to guide her.
- The Soul of America by Jon Meacham, for how it reminds us that previous dark chapters in our nation’s history have been temporary, and we emerged from them.
- Devotions by the late, Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Mary Oliver, whose observations about joy, nature, and humanity soothe and touch us.
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates and The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin, both of which, from different decades, wrestle with racism and inequality.
- The magnificent third novel by Toni Morrison, Song of Solomon.
- The recently released When the Light of the World Was Subdued, Our Songs Came Through: a Norton Anthology of Native Nations Poetry edited by U.S. Poet Laureate Joy Harjo that is filled with pain, hope and resilience.
Oprah invites readers to join her beginning today through November 30 at Oprah's Book Club Instagram and Facebook pages, using the hashtag #ReadWithUs to connect and share thoughts about these remarkable books.
Click here to view the book list on Apple Books. View the original story on OprahMag.com: Oprah Just Unveiled the Seven Books That Help Her Through Tough Times.