Let Go of Your Junk
Photo: Loungepark/The Image Bank/Getty Images
Home-to-haven maven Shelli Alexander gives practical advice even a packrat could learn to love!Tips on Organizing Your Clutter
- Have a support system. It can be a neighbor, a friend—some one who's not emotionally attached to your stuff that can help you during the purging phase and help you set parameters on what you keep.
- Begin the project by making the clutter manageable. Use color-coded stickers so others can help you sort through what stays and what gets tossed.
- If you have boxes that are going into a storage area, take pictures of each area of the room and label each picture as a zone. As you pack, label each box with the appropriate zone number so you can retrieve the items later.
- Pictures can also help organize unruly closets. Tape photos of your shoes to shoe boxes or to keep everything tightly organized, trade shoeboxes for clear containers.
Special Thanks to:
- Shelli Alexander from Order by Design
Visit www.orderbydesign.org or call 323-933-3779.
- The crew from 1-800-GOT-JUNK
- The Ethan Allen design team
Visit www.ethanallen.com or call 1-800-786-7315.
- The specialists at The Container Store
Visit www.thecontainerstore.com or call 1-800-786-7315.
- Bed Bath and Beyond