9 Tips for Parents of Teens Dealing with Obesity
Real listening means:
- You are patient and relaxed.
- You are facing your child and making eye contact.
- You are nonjudgmental—sometimes it helps to pretend they are not your kid.
- You are remembering there is nothing wrong. Your child is not broken or needing to be fixed, no matter how they are feeling or what they are sharing.
- You are curious. Ask, "What else?" when they stop talking because you sincerely want to know.
- You are not talking.
- You are not coaching or giving advice.
- You are not fixing it.
- You are not comparing.
- You are not relating, therefore bringing the attention back to you.