5 Surprising Foods That Help You Lose Weight
"If you don't allow yourself to splurge every once in a while, you're much more likely to binge on that food in the future," says Ott. Science backs her up: A study in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition showed that people felt more satisfied after eating French fries than the same number of calories in the control pasta meal, while research from Cornell University found that when people get their hands on "healthy" food (in this case, a sub sandwich instead of a burger), they actually consumed more calories than when they ate unhealthy foods. To keep splurges under control, Ott uses the 80/20 rule: "Eat well 80 percent of the time, and don't worry about the other 20 percent." Or, for an even easier rule of thumb, enjoy one to two splurge foods a week, she says.