It's been a couple of weeks since I have written, but I'm finally making myself sit down and put some thoughts on paper. I have made a lot of progress the last two weeks and I'm feeling really great! Although, I have to admit, it is still a daily struggle to eat well and exercise.

On March 31, 2007, The Oprah Show and Bob Greene gathered the six of us (challengers) and surprised us with five days of working out. I had small twinges of guilt about leaving my husband with the kids for the five days, but I was so looking forward to this break and we had so much help from friends and family. I feel like I have been making such efforts to shop regularly, cook regularly, exercise regularly, journal regularly, along with housework and being a mom, so the chance for some quiet and rest was very welcomed.

My husband is amazing, too! He took on everything without a single hesitation and he ran everything beautifully while I was gone. He even made me his healthy granola bars to take with me. Now, that's love! :)

My meeting with Bob was really interesting. He really helped me get to the point where I could admit I had a lot of anger inside me. I enjoyed being with the other challengers again. I have admiration for them knowing they are all experiencing great challenges and learning so much from this experience. We are united in our desire to make big changes and everyone is doing so great!

Even when I returned from the retreat, I ended up picking up a stomach flu from my husband and, once again, I had the deep fear of not being able to get it back together again or not being able to establish my workout routine again. But, over the last seven weeks, I have faced several colds and flus that normally would have halted any progress I had made. But I have fought through them and I keep rebounding, so there is this little piece in me that is starting to believe in me and believe that I am going to get this done and be successful at it!

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed not having to cook, shop, change diapers, do dishes, do laundry, stop tantrums, carpool, answer the phone, or even pick up e-mail. No one was making demands on me for five days—outside of the physically demanding workout we had—but those actually felt good. When I returned home, my husband and kids met me at the airport with flowers! Seeing my beautiful little family again was wonderful. They are so dear to me!

Since, I've been home I have not worked out for less than two hours. A one-hour workout just doesn't feel right, especially since I know I can do more. I met with someone today that I haven't seen for about three weeks and they commented on how my countenance has changed. They said I looked healthier and confident. I'm feeling more alive and awake than I've felt in years.

I kept remarking on the retreat how I felt like little by little I am awakening from this funk I've been in for so long. It is thrilling. It literally gives me chills!

As a reminder, always consult your doctor for medical advice and treatment before starting any program.


Next Story