6 Cleaning Mistakes That Could Land You in the Hospital
These oversights and accidents could turn spring cleaning into a trip to the doctor's office.
Mixing Bleach with Pretty Much Anything
If your mother told you not to mix bleach with ammonia, listen: The two combine to create a toxic gas called chloramine, which at low levels causes wheezing, coughing, nausea and watery eyes, and at higher concentrations can do irreversible damage to the lungs. But mixing bleach with any acidic cleaner (regular old vinegar as well as many drain cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners, dishwasher rinses, rust removers and more) is just as dangerous. It also produces a toxic gas, chlorine, which can cause dizziness, coughing, and burning in the nose or eyes when you're exposed to a small amount and can be fatal at higher levels.