Are You a Compulsive Eater?
These are all signs of compulsive eating, a serious but treatable eating disorder. Use the information below to figure out if you or a friend might have the condition, and learn what you can do about it.
How to Tell If There's a Problem
If you think you or a friend might have this problem, there is something you can do. First, you must identify the problem. Use the questions below as a guideline; If you answer yes to any of them, you may be a compulsive overeater.
- Do you eat until you feel stuffed or uncomfortable?
- Do you eat when you're not hungry?
- Does stress, emotional upset, anxiety or depression cause you to overeat?
- Do you feel unable to stop eating?
- Do you become anxious or worried while you are eating?
Overeating can lead to weight gain, which may trigger a host of other health problems, including high blood pressure, elevated blood cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, gallbladder disease, heart disease and certain types of cancer. Compulsive eating is not just a problem for overweight people. The condition can affect your self-esteem and leave you feeling out of control.