Throw a 'Swell' Oscar® Party
The Envelope, Please: Invitations
Use a piece of Mylar mirrored paper; address it, "And the winner is..."
Using a gold metallic pen, inscribe invitations with lines from Oscar®-winning films. "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
Print invites on a red carpet swatch.
For a black-tie invite, punch two holes in a piece of cardstock, thread a piece of thick black ribbon through the holes and tie it into a bow tie.
Repurpose the silver Swell Glitterati shower curtain from Target as a shining overlay for a bar.
The Swell ice bucket, melamine trays and pearlized pitchers and tumblers add splash, too.
Switch the family photos in the living room with shots of your true loved ones—this year's nominees.
You could also buy some new frames—try the Swell Swinging Squares Frame that looks like a mini version of Hollywood Squares and has room for four celebrities. The photos are, of course, autographed to you (or by you): "Wish I could be there! Luv, Charlize."
Put out a red-carpet welcome mat to lead your guests to the door.
Deputized a best friend to snap your guests with a Polaroid as they make their entrance.
Dress up the powder room with props from the make-up trailer: rhinestone jewelry, tiaras, sunglasses, red lipsticks, fake mustaches, beauty marks and a wig or two that'll inspire guests to start hamming and vamping.
During the pre-show show, turn off the sound and play some feel-good Oscar®-winning soundtracks: Chicago, Titanic, The Godfather, Casablanca, etc.
- Set up a concession-stand buffet loaded with cinematic snacks.
- Popcorn and toppings, served in paper top hats.
- Milk Duds and Twizzlers all neatly stacked.
- An ice chest full of pop and ice-cream bon-bons.
- Throw in a few things you wish they did serve at the multiplex, like frozen mini burgers to nuke 'n' serve.
- For dinner, if needed, TV dinners! Let guests order from a menu of Salisbury steak, chicken nuggets or fish sticks. Serve on Swell trays dressed with Swell linens and the good silver
- Give your favorite beverages theme names! Imported Japanese beer for Lost in Translation. The Master and Commander Sea Breeze. Seabiscuit juleps, served with a chaser. Or Hobbit Juice (try Art Smith's non-alcoholic Vanilla Citrus Punch).
- Warning: Serving all of these cocktails at once may give your party an NC-17 rating. One or two would suffice.
Fun & Games
- Serve up some icebreakers—trivia questions!
- Instead of identifying wine glass charms, tie trivia questions with multiple choice answers on little cards to wine glass stems with black satin ribbon.
- Write the answers on cocktail napkins in gold metallic pen. Sample question: "What movie did James Bond author Ian Fleming write?" (A: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.)
- Guests have to mingle to find the answers!
Do your own downsized version of the amazing gift baskets Oscar&30174;presenters and winners get for just showing up!
- Check out Target for Swell goodies like sunglasses, a disposable camera, jewelry and photo albums.
- Package up all the goods in our stylish Swell gift bags.
- Hand out to friends as they leave to catch a "limo" to their after party!
For all the Swell products mentioned above, visit a Target store near you or shop online at www.target.com.