Rhubarb, Ginger and Almond Tart with Lemon Crème Fraîche
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , plus extra for dusting
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter , cut into small pieces
- 2 pounds rhubarb , trimmed and cut into 5" lengths
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla bean
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter , softened
- 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger , finely chopped, optional
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 cups (1 pint) creme fraiche
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
Using a lightly floured surface and rolling pin, roll dough to a 13 1/2" circle. Ease into an 11" tart pan, gently pressing dough into sides and bottom of pan. Trim overhanging pastry to half an inch; fold and press against side of tart pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425°. Prick tart shell with fork tines; line with parchment paper, fill with dried beans or rice and set on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Remove beans and parchment paper. Reduce oven temperature to 375° and bake until golden brown, approximately 8 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack.
To make filling: Place rhubarb on a rimmed baking sheet. In a bowl, combine brown sugar, orange zest and juice, lemon zest and juice, fresh ginger, vanilla and cloves; stir well. Pour over the rhubarb, stirring to coat. Arrange in a single layer and bake until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove rhubarb with a slotted spoon to a paper towel and let cool. Return pan with juices to oven and bake until juices thicken and reduce to 1/2 cup, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool.
Set aside 12 strips of rhubarb; discard cloves. Puree remaining rhubarb in a food processor. Transfer puree to a bowl and add reserved juices.
In a food processor, pulse whole almonds, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, flour, ground ginger, salt until almonds are very finely ground.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining granulated sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating until smooth. Blend in almond mixture. Stir in crystallized ginger, if using.
Spread rhubarb puree over bottom of tart shell. Spoon almond mixture by teaspoonfuls over the puree to cover. Arrange reserved rhubarb strips in a spoke pattern over the top. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake until filling in center is set and a toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool completely on a wire rack.
To make lemon crème fraîche: In a small bowl, combine crème fraîche and lemon zest.
To serve: Transfer tart to a serving plate and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve with lemon crème fraîche on the side.