Pumpkin and Apple Soup with Chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 Golden Delicious apples (about 1 pound), peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pure pumpkin
- 4 cups (1 carton, 32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons drained 2 percent Greek yogurt , for garnish
- 10 fresh chestnuts , roasted, peeled and coarsely chopped, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives , for garnish
- 10 mini sugar pumpkins
- Olive oil , for brushing
Remove from heat; discard bay leaf. Using an immersion blender, puree soup in pot until smooth. Stir in cream and return to stove. Cook over medium heat until heated through, about 4 minutes.
To make pumpkin shells: While soup is cooking, preheat oven to 375°. Cut top third off pumpkins, making sure to keep matching tops and shells together. (If necessary, trim a thin layer off bottoms of pumpkins so they sit level.) Using a large spoon, scoop out seeds and strings; discard. Place pumpkin shells and tops on foil-lined baking sheet; brush all cut edges with oil. Bake until warmed, 6 to 8 minutes.
Ladle soup into pumpkin shells, if using (if not, serve in warm bowls). Garnish each serving with 1/2 tablespoon dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of chestnuts and chives.