Mile-High Apple Pie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour , plus extra for rolling
- 1/2 cup finely ground blanched almonds or almond flour
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter , very cold, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 to 6 tablespoons nonfat milk , very cold
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 pounds mixed apples , peeled, cored and cut into 1/3-inch slices
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into small pieces
Preheat oven to 425°. Place dough on a floured board and allow dough to stand, unwrapped, until just pliable, about 10 minutes. With a floured rolling pin, roll out the smaller disc into a 13-inch circle. Move dough a quarter turn with every roll, making sure it is not sticking to the board underneath. The dough should be 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick. Line a 9-inch pie dish with dough. Lightly dust board with more flour and roll out larger disc into a 15-inch circle; set aside.
To make filling: In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add apples and lemon juice; gently toss to combine. Place filling in crust-lined pie dish and dot with butter. Cover with large dough circle and cut a large X into the top; gently pull back the corners of X to allow steam to escape.
In a small bowl, combine heavy cream and egg yolk; brush crust with mixture. Place pie on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375° and continue baking until filling bubbles in the center and crust turns golden brown, about 1 hour. (Tenting with foil for the last 45 to 50 minutes may be necessary to prevent overbrowning.) Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; serve with vanilla ice cream.