- 2 pounds chuck roast , minced
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 onions , chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 5 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 jalapeno , seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 cups beef stock (fresh or store-bought)
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 can (28 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roasted or canned corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp. masa (corn flour)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Sour cream
- Chopped scallions
- Cheddar cheese
- Hot red chili flakes
- Crushed tortilla chips
Wipe down the frying pan using a paper towel and clean off as much residual bits from the bottom as you can. Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil and cook the remaining beef using the same process.
In a large sauce pot, add 1 tablespoon of canola oil and heat until hot. Add the onions and sauté just until translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add chili powder, jalapeño, coriander, cumin and mix well. Cook for 1 minute. Add beef stock, beer, tomatoes, corn, beans and the beef. Cover and simmer on low heat for 1 hour, checking and stirring every 15 minutes.
Add masa and simmer 10 minutes. Season with kosher salt and crushed pepper.
Serve in heated bowls and garnish with sour cream, chopped scallions, cilantro, cheddar cheese and hot red chili flakes! Jalapeños optional.