Hudson Valley Club Sandwich
- 1 can (16 ounces) white beans (great northern or cannellini)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves peeled garlic
- 2 Tbsp. dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 12 slices toasted whole wheat bread
- 12 small inner leaves romaine lettuce
- 8 slices (1/4-inch thick) tomato
- 12 very thin slices red onion
- 1 avocado , peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced cooked chicken breast
- 8 strips cooked bacon (optional)
- 2 cups broccoli or alfalfa sprouts
Use ingredients to make 4 sandwiches. For each, put 2 tablespoons of spread on 1 bread slice; top with lettuce, tomato, and onion. Add another bread slice with 2 tablespoons spread, chicken, bacon, tomato, avocado, and sprouts; top with a final bread slice. If desired, cut sandwich and secure with wooden toothpicks.
- Omit rosemary from spread, and add 4 or 5 chopped basil leaves.
- For a kick, stir some ancho or poblano chili paste, harissa, or salsa into spread.
- Substitute preserved tomatoes or pickled vegetables (such as zucchini, cucumbers, eggplant, mushrooms, or onions) when fresh ones are out of season.
- Use mesclun or arugula in place of romaine and omit chicken and bacon to make a vegetarian sandwich.