Home-Style Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- ¾ cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup grated Wisconsin Asiago cheese
- ¾ cup dry Jack cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
Preheat the oven to 400° F.
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until they are very soft. Whisk in the flour, stirring until it turns light brown, about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk. Add in the paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Lower heat and cook until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in all three cheeses. Once the cheese is melted add the cooked pasta and stir until the noodles are coated thoroughly. Transfer to a buttered 12- x 16-inch oven-safe dish. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and cook until crispy and bubbly, about 30 minutes.